WHAT IS INDIVISIBLE SF?
Indivisible SF unites San Franciscans in opposition to President Trump’s agenda. Our actions are informed by the Indivisible Guide, which details effective ways to influence members of Congress (MoCs).
WHAT ACTIONS DOES INDIVISIBLE SF TAKE?
We influence our MoCs by expressing our views in four ways:
- Meeting with our MoCs and their staffs. Indivisible SF has a standing monthly meeting with both Senators Feinstein and Harris, and regular meetings with Representatives Pelosi and Speier.
- Attending MoC-sponsored events, especially town halls.
- Mass calling. Each week, Indivisible SF members make hundreds of calls to our MoCs.
- Media. Indivisible SF is a fast-growing chapter of the burgeoning Indivisible movement. The media is taking notice and we intend to use that attention to influence our MoCs and public policy.
WHO CAN JOIN?
We are an inclusive group that welcomes people of all backgrounds and beliefs. Our only requirement for membership is active opposition to Trump’s policies and respect for our Code of Conduct. The short version:
- Respect other members’ privacy
- Be patient
- Be respectful
- Be welcoming
- Be courteous to Congressional staffers
HOW DO I JOIN?
You can do any or all of these:
- Join our email list. You will receive our weekly scripts for calling your MoCs, information about recent and upcoming actions, and the date and time of our next meeting, as well as other information.
- Like our Facebook group
- Follow us on Twitter @IndivisibleSF
- Attend a meeting. This isn’t mandatory, but we encourage you to attend at least one meeting to get to know our community and see how we operate.
HOW MUCH TIME DOES THIS REQUIRE?
We only ask that you make three phone calls a week, One to each of your three MoCs (your Representative and both Senators). That takes less than 15 minutes total. We provide scripts each week to make it easy for you to call about the issue we’ve agreed to focus on. You’ll have opportunities to get further involved — for example, by writing emails or attending a meeting with one of your MoCs — but those activities are optional.
DO I HAVE TO COME TO EVERY MEETING?
No. Reaching out to MoCs is the most important part of our work, and you can do that without attending a meeting. We do encourage new members to attend at least one meeting to meet our community, learn about our process, and participate in guiding our work.
WHAT GOOD CAN INDIVISIBLE SF DO IN A ULTRA-LIBERAL CITY LIKE SAN FRANCISCO?
Our MoCs are particularly powerful and they represent us! Through our work, we influence them to wield that power on our behalf.
- Rep. Pelosi leads all House Democrats as House Minority Leader.
- Sen. Feinstein is Vice Chairman of the Select Committee on Intelligence. She is also Ranking Member on the Committee on the Judiciary, which reviews judicial nominees, including nominees for the Supreme Court.
- Sen. Harris is a rising star of the Democratic Party and sits on the Committee on the Budget, Committee on the Environment and Public Works, Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs, and the Select Committee on Intelligence.
- Rep. Speier has major influence on national security as a member of the Committee on Armed Services and the Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence.
I’M NOT A CITIZEN. CAN I STILL JOIN?
Yes! The US Constitution ensures equal representation for everyone who lives in the United States, regardless of immigration status. Even if you aren’t eligible to vote in the US, you have the right to be heard by your representatives in Congress.
DO I HAVE TO REGISTER TO VOTE TO JOIN?
No. The Constitution ensures equal representation for everyone who lives in the United States, and that means you have the right to be heard by your representatives in Congress even if you didn’t participate in electing them. (That said, voting is one major way to make your voice heard, so we do encourage you to register!)
WHAT IF I DON’T LIVE IN SAN FRANCISCO?
As of late January, there are 87 Indivisible groups in the Bay Area alone, and more are popping up every day. It’s easy to search for one near you.